Alabama Restoration Area Draft Plan for Recreation and Birds Released
The Alabama Trustee Implementation Group has released a draft restoration plan proposing seven projects to address injuries to natural resources caused by the Deepwater Horizon oil spill. The Draft Restoration Plan III and Environmental Assessment: Provide and Enhance Recreational Opportunities; and Birds (PDF, 239 pgs) includes five preferred alternatives for addressing lost recreational use and two for addressing injury to birds.
We will accept comments on the Draft Restoration Plan III through October 3, 2019. And, we’ll hold a public meeting to present the plan and receive comments on September 11, 2019 in conjunction with our annual public meeting.
The draft restoration plan, which is consistent with the Trustees’ programmatic restoration plan, evaluates ten alternatives, seven of which we have identified as preferred. The total estimated cost of the seven preferred projects is $26.6 million. If those projects are approved, we will use Deepwater Horizon Natural Resource Damage Assessment funds to implement the projects. The preferred alternatives are:
Addressing lost recreational opportunities:
- Perdido River Land Acquisition (Molpus Tract).
- Bayfront Park Restoration and Improvement Phases IIa and IIb.
- Perdido Beach Public Access Coastal Protection.
- Gulf State Park Pier Renovation.
- Bon Secour National Wildlife Refuge Recreation Enhancement – Mobile Street Boardwalk.
Addressing injury to birds:
- Stewardship of Coastal Alabama Beach Nesting Bird Habitat.
- Dauphin Island West End Acquisition.
Public Comment Period and In-person Meeting
Public comments will be accepted through October 3, 2019. Public comments can be submitted online and through the mail.
- Online at http://parkplanning.nps.gov/restorealabamaP3
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
P.O. Box 29649
Atlanta, GA 30345
We will conduct an open house and public meeting on September 11, 2019 in conjunction with our annual public meeting. The meeting will begin at 6:00 p.m. at the Five Rivers Tensaw Theater, 30945 Five Rivers Blvd., Spanish Fort, Alabama.
Documents and Federal Register Notice
- Draft Restoration Plan III and Environmental Assessment: Provide and Enhance Recreational Opportunities; and Birds (PDF, 239 pgs).
- Draft Restoration Plan III Executive Summary - Vietnamese Translation (Kế Hoạch Phục Hồi III/Bản Thảo Đánh Giá Môi Trường của Alabama TÓM TẮT DỰ ÁN) (PDF, 4 pgs).
- Federal Register Notice