Mississippi Trustee Implementation Group Welcomes Public's Project Ideas
The Mississippi Trustee Implementation Group is beginning the process of restoration planning for our Restoration Plan 4 and would like your input regarding natural resource restoration project ideas. This request for project ideas is open for 30 days through March 7, 2022.
Restoration types in Restoration Plan 4 may include:
- Wetlands, Coastal, and Nearshore Habitats
- Nutrient Reduction
- Provide and Enhance Recreational Opportunities
More details about the Restoration Types and Approaches we are considering, including the location of related information in Chapter 5 of the Trustees’ 2016 Programmatic Restoration Plan, are all below.
Restoration Plan 4 Types and Approaches
As we begin our next planning phase, we would like to get your input. At this time, we intend to focus on the following proposed restoration types and approaches.
- Wetlands, Coastal and Nearshore Habitats Restoration Type projects will focus on three restoration approaches:
- Create, restore and enhance coastal wetlands.
- Restore and Enhance Dunes and Beaches.
- Protect and conserve marine, coastal, estuarine, and riparian habitats.
(See Programmatic Restoration Plan Sections in Chapter 5.5.2; and Appendix 5.D.1)
- Nutrient Reduction (Nonpoint source) Restoration Type projects will focus on two restoration approaches:
- Reduce nutrient loads to Coastal Watersheds
- Reduce Pollution and Hydrologic Degradation to Coastal Watersheds
(See Programmatic Restoration Plan Sections in Chapter 5.5.4; and Appendix 5.D.2)
- The Provide and Enhance Recreational Opportunities Restoration Type projects will focus on three restoration approaches:
- Enhance Public Access to Natural Resources for Recreational Use
- Enhance Recreational Experiences
- Promote Environmental Stewardship, Education and Outreach
(See Programmatic Restoration Plan Sections in Chapter 5.5.14; and Appendix 5.D.8)
While the Trustees intend to focus on the restoration approaches listed above, we will consider all project ideas submitted.
We encourage you to submit new restoration project ideas or make revisions to previously submitted project ideas in either of the two project submission portals listed below:
- Trustee Council Project Submission Portal
- Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality Restoration Project Idea Portal
We request that all project ideas be submitted no later than March 7, 2022. We will consider any project ideas submitted or updated between January 1, 2018 and March 7, 2022, as part of Restoration Plan 4. More information about restoration types in general, as well as the Oil Pollution Act criteria against which project ideas will be evaluated, can be found in the Trustees’ Programmatic Restoration Plan.
Thank you for your engagement in this process. We look forward to considering your restoration project ideas.