Texas Trustee Implementation Group Releases Second Draft Restoration Plan
The Texas Trustee Implementation Group has released its Draft Restoration Plan/Environmental Assessment #2 (PDF, 372 pages). This plan includes restoration projects to partially compensate for the injury to natural resources caused by the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.
Public comments are being accepted on the plan through March 28, 2022, and the trustees are holding a public webinar March 9. Information translated into Vietnamese (Tiếng Việt) and Spanish (Español) is below.
The Trustee Implementation Group began this restoration planning process in October 2020, when it asked the public for restoration project ideas. More than 120 proposed restoration projects were reviewed, and 13 preferred projects from that list are included in the draft plan. The proposed projects, grouped by restoration type, include:
- Four Wetlands, Coastal, and Nearshore Habitat projects
- Two Nutrient Reduction projects
- One Oyster restoration project
- Two Sea Turtles projects
- Four Bird projects
The total estimated cost for the 13 proposed projects is approximately $39 million.
The draft plan is available for public review and comment through March 28, 2022. Comments can be submitted:
- Online at: https://parkplanning.nps.gov/TXRP2
- Via mail:
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
P.O. Box 49567
Atlanta, Georgia 30345
After the public comment period ends, the Texas Trustee Implementation Group will review, consider, and address public comments before releasing a final plan and environmental assessment.
Hard copies can also be obtained at the following locations:
- Port Arthur Public Library
4615 9th Ave.
Port Arthur, TX 77642
- Jack K. Williams Library Texas A&M University at Galveston
200 Seawolf Parkway Building #3010
Galveston, TX 77554
- Mary and Jeff Bell Library
Texas A&M University - Corpus Christi
6300 Ocean Drive Corpus Christi, TX 78412
The trustees are holding a public webinar to present the draft restoration plan and the proposed preferred alternatives.
- Date: March 9, 2022
- Time: 6:00 p.m. CT
- Register and attend the webinar: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/2667653123715836432
- After registering, you will receive a confirmation email with information on how to join on the meeting date. We recommend doing a GoToWebinar system check before attending.
If you are unable to attend the webinar, the materials will be posted online after the webinar on the Texas Restoration Area web page "Recent News" section.
- Texas Trustee Implementation Group Draft Restoration Plan/Environmental Assessment #2: Restoration of Wetlands, Coastal, and Nearshore Habitats; Nutrient Reduction; Oysters; Sea Turtles; and Birds (PDF, 372 pages)
- Texas Draft Restoration Plan #2 Executive Summary Đã dịch sang tiếng việt/In Vietnamese (PDF, 3 pages) Traducido al español/In Spanish (PDF, 3 pages)
- Texas Draft Restoration Plan #2 Overview Fact Sheet (PDF, 2 pages) Đã dịch sang tiếng việt/In Vietnamese (PDF, 2 pages) Traducido al español/In Spanish (PDF, 2 pages)
- Texas Draft Restoration Plan #2 Wetland, Coastal, and Nearshore Habitats Fact Sheet (PDF, 2 pages)
- Texas Draft Restoration Plan #2 Nutrient Reduction Fact Sheet (PDF, 2 pages)
- Texas Draft Restoration Plan #2 Oysters Fact Sheet (PDF, 2 pages)
- Texas Draft Restoration Plan #2 Sea Turtles Fact Sheet (PDF, 2 pages)
- Texas Draft Restoration Plan #2 Birds Fact Sheet (PDF, 2 pages)